The Deyr-az-Zaferan monastery (also known as Deyrulzafaran) is located in the hills, about 7km southeast of Mardin. It was founded in 493 AD. From 1160 until 1920 it was the seat of Syrian Orthodox patriarch. Like the buildings in nearby Mardin it is built with pale, honey-coloured local stone. Nowadays it is open for tourists. The complex contains a church and some interesting chambers.
Page viewed 446 times since 05.03.20
©Copyright Alfred Molon