Wat Thammikarat was built in the Ayutthaya period by Phraya Thammikarat, a son of King Sainam Phung. Its chedi is surrounded by lion statues. Construction on Wat Phra Ram started in 1369 by king Ramesuan. Wat Chai Wattanaram was built in 1629 by King Prasat Tong, a commoner who overthrew the previous king. Its main prang is on an elevated terrace in the middle of a courtyard. Not much is left of Wat Lokaya Sutha except a 42m statue of a reclining Buddha. Wat Phu Khao Thong was built by the Burmese king Burengnong in 1549 after he conquered Ayutthaya. Wat Phanan Choeng is a restored wat which cannot be precisely dated.
Page viewed 29585 times since 16.07.2009
©Copyright Alfred Molon