Ho Phra Keo ("Altar of the Emerald Buddha", formerly known as Wat Phra Keo) is a former monastery and royal temple of the Lao monarchs. Originally built in 1565 by King Saya Setthathirath of the Kingdom of Lane Xang, it housed the Emerald Buddha (actually carved from a type of jade). It was destroyed during the Siamese invasion of 1828 and rebuilt between 1936 and 1942.
Page viewed 44358 times since 12.08.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon