This pagoda was built in 634, the third year of Queen Seondeok, and made of andesite cut like brick. Considering the number of stones it might have been a seven or nine storey pagoda. This pagoda, destroyed by the Japanese in 1915, was rebuilt as a three storied pagoda. It has four entrances flanked by a pair of granite pillars bearing two carved granite reliefs of Vajrapani or Ferocious Guardians of Buddhism. At the four corners of the ground stone four stone lions are posted.
Page viewed 20148 times since 03.08.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon