The Red Fort in Delhi is a fortress and palace complex located not far from the banks for the Yamuna river. It is is named for its massive enclosing walls of red sandstone. The complex was built between 1639 and 1648 for the fifth Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as his residence in the fortified capital Shahjahanabad. The compound encloses an area of 103 ha and contains a number of buildings. It has been a UNESCO world heritage site since 2007.
Page viewed 773 times since 30.06.20
©Copyright Alfred Molon