Nowadays only some ruins of the palace and fortification wall are left of the city of Mycenae. Construction began in the 14th century BC with the first wall built of Cyclopean masonry. A new wall was erected to the west and south of the first one a century later together with the Lion Gate and its bastion. Around 1200 BC the citadel was destroyed probably by an earthquake. After that the walls were extended to the northeast in order to include the subterranean well. The site was finally abandoned around 1100 BC after several destructions and fires.
Page viewed 21559 times since 25.09.2008
©Copyright Alfred Molon