The Zwinger is one of the highlights of Dresden. It's a palace located adjacent to Theaterplatz, built between 1710 and 1728 in Rococo (late baroque) style on a design of the architect Pöppelmann. It served as the orangery, exhibition gallery and festival arena of the Dresden royal court. It consists of a large inner court with fountains surrounded by buildings, pavilions and walls. The Zwinger was destroyed by the World War II carpet bombing raids of February 1945 and reconstructed after the war. Today the Zwinger is used as a museum and hosts a number of exhibitions (the Old Masters Picture Gallery, the Dresden Porcelain Collection, the Armory and the Royal Cabinet of Mathematical and Physical Instruments).
Page viewed 10348 times since 13.07.12
©Copyright Alfred Molon