The prehistoric rock carvings in the Qobustan national park date back to between 5000 and 40000 years ago. The petroglyphs (= rock carvings) were first described by Iskhag Jafarzade in 1939. The first scientific expeditions were organised by A. Bakikhanov in 1940-41, followed by later expeditions in 1947. After 1965 a new expedition discovered about 20 ancient shelters and 40 burial places in Qobustan.
The museum was first set up in 1970. The petroglyphs show scenes with people, wildlife, flora and lifestyles in pre-historic times. Up to now over 6000 rock engravings have been identified. The archaeological site covers an area of 537 ha. The petroglyphs of Qobustan have been a UNESCO World Hertage site since 2007.
01 Car parking 02 Parking 03 Museum 04 Museum 05 Exhibits in museum
06 Exhibits in museum 07 Exhibit in museum 08 Qobustan rock area 09 Limestone rocks
10 Road to archaeological area 11 Qobustan rock area 12 Petroglyphs of people 13 Petroglyphs of people
14 Rock graffiti of people 15 Tourists among limestone boulders 16 Bull petroglyphs 17 Bull rock graffiti 18 Petroglyphs of people
19 Path to archaeological area 20 Bison petroglyph 21 Bull petroglyphs 22 Archaeological area
23 Archaeological area 24 Archaeological area
Page viewed 457 times since 06.11.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon