Following the end of the Thirty Years War in 1648, in the Peace of Westphalia the Lutheran minority was allowed to build three churches in Silesia. The constraints were that the churches had to be built within one year, without stone or a stone foundation, without a church tower and outside the city walls. The Church of Peace in Jawor (Jauer in German) was built entirely in wood on a design by the architect Albrecht von Saebisch in 1655. It is 43.5m long, 14m wide, 15.7m high and has capacity of 5500 people. Together with the Church of Peace in Swidnica, the church in Jawor is among the largest timber-framed religious buildings in Europe. The Church of Peace in Jawor has been a UNESCO world heritage site since 2001.
Page viewed 10762 times since 27.11.12
©Copyright Alfred Molon