The Birkenau camp (Auschwitz II-Birkenau) was set up at the end of 1941 to ease congestion at the main Auschwitz concentration camp. It consisted of a large number of barracks, set up in rows and spread over a very large area. It was designed to hold several categories of prisoners and to function as an extermination camp.
Page viewed 18180 times since 10.12.12
©Copyright Alfred Molon