Wat Xieng Thong (Xieng Thong Ratsavoravihanh, or Volavihan, the Golden City or Golden Tree Monastery) dates back to the 16th century. King Setthathilat (1548-1571) founded it in 1560 to commemorate the memory of the Chanthaphanith, a betal merchant and the legendary first king of Luang Prabang. It is one of the most important of Lao monasteries with over twenty structures on the grounds including shrines, pavilions and residences, in addition to its gardens of various flowers, ornamental shrubs and trees.

01 Frontal view 02 Rear view 03 Ornamental main entrance 04 Gate 05 Carriage house 06 Carvings of Hanuman, devas and devi
07 Panel above doorway with gilded carvings 08 Carriage with Naga heads 09 Buddha image 10 Stupas
Page viewed 38023 times since 29.08.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon