The archaeological site of Olympia consists of the ruins of several ancient Greek temples and of the remains of all the sports structures erected for the Olympic games. The first games were held at the site in 776 BC and subsequently every four years for over 1000 years. Olympia is also known as the site of the giant ivory and gold statue of Zeus, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Nowadays not many structures are left in ancient Olympia. It mostly consists of ruins spread around the archaeological site.

01 Ruins 02 Temple of Hera ruins 03 Ruins 04 Temple of Zeus ruins
05 Ruins 06 Temple of Zeus ruins 07 Temple of Zeus ruins 08 Pillar 09 Broken pillar
10 Ruins 11 Ruins 12 Philippeion circular memorial 13 Philippeion circular memorial 14 Philippeion circular memorial
15 Doric colonnade of Gymnasium 16 Doric colonnade of Gymnasium
Page viewed 21197 times since 21.08.2008
©Copyright Alfred Molon