The St John Baptist church is located in Steingaden, a town in southern Bavaria lying along the romantic road. The church was founded as a premonstratensian monastery in 1147, was destroyed in 1525 during the peasant wars and later rebuilt in renessaince style. In the 17th and 18th centuries frescoes and other rococo art were added to the church. The church nowadays is a beautiful example of Bavarian rococo style. Rococo is a late baroque building style dating between 1730 and 1770.
Page viewed 28984 times since 03.08.2006
©Copyright Alfred Molon