Located 160km southeast of Tallinn, Tartu is the second largest city in Estonia and its spiritual and intellectual capital. The historic core of Tartu is small but relatively well preserved. The highlights are the Tartu university, which was established by King Gustav Adolph of Sweden in 1632, and the town hall, which was built in an early Neoclassical style, with Rococo and Baroque details between 1782 and 1789. The city of Tartu was already settled in the 6th century, and was conquered by the Knights of the Sword in 1224. Nowadays Tartu is quiet university town home to a large number of students.

01 City park 02 Emajogi river 03 Toomemagi park 04 Toomemagi park 05 Father and son statue Isa ja poeg
06 City park 07 GMP Plaza shopping mall 08 Tartu Kaubamaja mall 09 Tartu Kaubamaja shopping mall
10 Riia street 11 Hotel London 12 Tartu university 13 University of Tartu
14 Town hall 15 Town hall square 16 Town hall square 17 University of Tartu
18 Tartu university 19 Town hall 20 Town hall 21 Hotel Draakon 22 Tartu university
23 St John church
Page viewed 1088 times since 07.07.16
©Copyright Alfred Molon