Along the eastern coast of Cyprus, 8km north of Famagusta, lie the ruins of the ancient city of Salamis, one of the most significant archaeological sites in the Mediterranean. The city was first settled in the 11th century BC by the Greeks and became the richest and most important city on Cyprus for about 1700 years. In the 9th century BC it came under the control of the Assyrian, paying tribute to the Assyrian kings. In Roman times, Salamis was part of the Roman province of Cilicia. Nowadays there are three main structures in Salamis: the Gymnasion and the baths (therme) which were built by the Greeks and later modified by the Romans and Byzantines, the stadium, and the theatre built during the Roman period. Next to the archaeological site there is a nice sandy beach.
Page viewed 65 times since 13.03.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon