The historic centre of Pula extends for about 500m from north to south and is centered around the Citadel. From there, there are good views over the city and the harbour. The citadel, also known as Pula castle or fortress, was built by the Venetians between 1630 and 1633 and served as an important defensive point for Venetian control of the Adriatic. Around the citadel the roads follow a concentric circular pattern, while outside of the historic core the roads form a rectangular grid pattern. Flanaticka road is a pedestrian area with shops, cafes and restaurants. The St Francis monastery is located immediately outside the Pula fortress compound.
Page viewed 195 times since 24.11.17
©Copyright Alfred Molon